International Monty Python Day

Good afternoon. I'm quite new here and this is my first contribution, although I've commented on a couple of other threads.

On this almost most auspicious of days, arrr!, it has come to my keen attention that, despite forty years of obsessive lunacy, there does not appear to be an official Monty Python Day. I should be grateful if any of you here at the most officialish online Monty Python community can help me shed any light on why this reprehensible state of affairs has come not to be.

From a brief perusal of the Internet I have been able to deduce the following information.

• Doune Castle holds a Monty Python day on what seems to be the second Sunday in September but, from the information provided, the duration of the organised event is a mere three hours (4:00pm until 7:00pm). Now in its seventh year, this gives the impression of being the most stable if not official 'Day'. I'm not sure why it takes place when it does, though. Is it because the filming of Holy Grail took place there in September 1974?
  • Facebook apparently has a Monty Python Status Day on 10 May, but I'm not sure for what reason that date was chosen (it does coincide with the US release date of Holy Grail in 1975).
  • This very forum, in 2009, suggested 29 March as an online convention day (which coincides with Mr. Idle's date of birth), and sometime next summer for an actual meet-up.
  • The Monty Python anniversary is 5 October, coinciding with the date of the first broadcast of Flying Circus in 1969.

So, given that we have International Talk Like A Pirate Day, International Beer Day, World Migratory Bird Day, Towel Day, Literacy Day, Philosophy Day, and The International Day of Awesomeness, I'm interested in your opinions as to why there is no official Monty Python Day, and on what date you think it would be if there was one.

Thank you.

Comments

genji: RealGilliamJunkie has shamed me into taking an interest in our IMPD facebook thing again so I've created an event for next year if anyone wants to attend. I haven't created a 4th Oct. memorial event for Mr. Chapman as I feel someone like Colonel Daughter or another Mr. Chapman fan (not that I'm not one of those) might want to do so, or might do it more sensitively than I'm likely to.

TheRealGilliamFan at 11:57 am October 31

"RealGilliamJunkie" <--- even better haha!

Ok, here's my question. When an event is created, is an invitation sent out to all members? Or do people only know about the event if they are keeping tabs on the group page? Invitations would be good.

genji at 11:59 am October 31

I unchecked the default 'invite all members' option because I didn't want to be a bother. I hoped people might stumble across it over the next eleven months or so.

TheRealGilliamFan at 12:12 pm October 31

Well un-un-check it! That's what its' there for!

genji at 12:22 pm October 31

OK. Have. I hope they don't feel like I've invaded their personal space.

killerrabit444: Everyday is monty python day for me (sorry if you've heard this quite stereotypical joke before)

genji: OK, so the 41st International Monty Python Day passed off ok. A little polite and unassuming, perhaps, but it seemed to happen. I've been thinking about 2011 and wondering what to call the events and what to plan for them.

I'm not sure what to call the remembrance of Mr. Chapman's death. I think "Tragic Tuesday" is a bit grim and I wondered if anyone had any better ideas?

Also, "International Monty Python Day" is a bit obvious. I thought next year it should be called "National Vole-strangling Day" or something - maybe something that celebrates individual nations' Pythonism as per the May-day film instead of trying to make it a global conglomerate. And, again, ideas for how to celebrate, please...

Maybe all those inventive gif-designers and fanfic writers on the forum could come up with something that could be launched on the day?

Also, perhaps facebook is not the ideal platform to manage it. I don't know what witchcraft Hanri is practised in but perhaps pythonline.com/hq could give us some webspace?

It's nearly a year away so there's plenty of time to design costumes, meet-ups, coordinated rewatches, etc.

Any ideas?

TheRealGilliamFan at 11:26 am October 12

Don't give up on Facebook so easily. We got 60 members inside of basically a week just by a little word of mouth. That's not to say we can't do other things on the net as well, but don't give up on it so easily. We should keep that page updated throughout the year with Python news --> like this <--

I have some ideas. And I think if we seriously want to make a plan, we should all start thinking of ideas and then maybe get together in chatroom to toss around ideas if anyone knows how to set one up.

I was just saying last night, I wish they would do a theatrical re-release of the films. I know that's wishful thinking and I don't know who the "they" would be. I think it would have been cool to have all 4 films running for like a week - maybe a festival - maybe in some major cities - this past year for the 40th - because many of us are too young to have ever seen them on the big screen. I would love to. Obviously we cannot organize something like that but still....

genji at 11:36 am October 12

Oh, I'm not suggesting we stop with the facebook page, just that we should try to go a bit further and perhaps use facebook as a promotional outlet rather than the centre of management. I agree, the facebook group (and some new events) should be updated (you're an admin, right?) and at least as much, if not more, effort should be put into it for next year.

A chat room's a good idea if we meet there maybe once a month or once a fortnight. I don't know how to set one up, but I could find out, hopefully.

arkennedy:

It's 1:00 am here so although it's a little late....

Happy International Python Day.

genji:

Well, it's goodnight from me, and it's goodnight from him. Thanks everyone for sharing.

mrsCutout at 2:57 pm October 05

Good night! May Bwian bless you!

TheRealGilliamFan: Happy International Monty Python Day to all :D It's just midday here in the states so I have a whole day of IMPD ahead!

genji at 1:10 pm October 05

Don't have the Lobster.

Mrs Conclusion: Happy International Monty Python Day everyone! Enjoy your own celebrations. I'm opening a bottle of vino and settling down with a Python-Fest this evening! x

genji at 1:02 pm October 05

Good idea. Let us know what you're festing on.

Mrs Conclusion at 6:35 am October 06

Hi! I was "festing" on Holy Grail, my favourite Python film, plus I went to see SPAMALOT last Thursday evening, so still in the King Arthur mood - haha! The vino was quite tasty too!! Not good having to go to work with a hangover though! xx

Hanri: I thank you, gentlemen. The year has been a good one for the Society (hear, hear). This year our members have put more things on top of other things than ever before. But, I should warn you, this is no time for complacency. No, there are still many things, and I cannot emphasize this too strongly, not on top of other things. I myself, on my way here this evening, saw a thing that was not on top of another thing in any way. (shame!) Shame indeed but we must not allow ourselves to become too despondent.

For, we must never forget that if there was not one thing that was not on top of another thing our society would be nothing more than a meaningless body of men that had gathered together for no good purpose. But we flourish. This year our Australasian members and the various organizations affiliated to our Australasian branches put no fewer than twenty-two things on top of other things. (applause) Well done all of you.

But there is one cloud on the horizon. In this last year our Staffordshire branch has not succeeded in putting one thing on top of another (shame!). Therefore I call upon our Staffordshire delegate to explain this weird behaviour.

Lvndr HppE: Its tomorrow!!! :-D

genji: There's an animal question that needs answering here, folks.

mrsCutout at 2:01 pm September 28

Ha....I'd like to add the rubber chicken from the man in the armor!!

TheRealGilliamFan:

Paute at 6:10 pm September 28

I put this on my Tumblr. 54 reblogs!!! http://theterryjones.tumblr.com/post/1200257350/international-monty-pyth...

Well done TheRealGilliamFan!!!

TheRealGilliamFan at 12:44 am September 29

54 reblogs?? cool !! thanks! now we're cookin with gas :D

Paute at 1:43 pm September 29

And now.... 62!!!

TheRealGilliamFan at 1:49 pm September 29

coooooooooool :D

Hanri at 10:07 pm September 28

Wohoo! That's the spirit!

genji at 8:22 pm September 27

Haha. Excellent. Thanks for posting that to the facebook group. I need to come up with some more content for it.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is a Spam thread in which each comment is just "Spam" and after sixteen of them the next person to comment writes "Lovely Spam", then "Wonderful Spam", etc.

TheRealGilliamFan at 10:39 pm September 27

i like the idea of some sort of spam theme.

Hanri at 9:41 pm September 27

Sounds brilliant. :) Just added a new conversation, your dress up pic inspired for another gallup. I just love your picture!!

TheRealGilliamFan at 10:39 pm September 27

thanks :)

Hanri at 9:42 pm September 27

Oops, 'twas meant to TheRealGillyFan the pic comment. :)

A. Lupin: 1/8 - Graham Chapman
2/1 - Terry Jones
3/29 - Eric Idle
5/5 - Michael Palin
10/27 - John Cleese
11/22 - Terry Gilliam
----------------------------------
I think we should average their birth months and days and get:
5.3 // 15.3 May 15th and every three years May 16th.

the_thina at 9:43 pm September 22

you know, the way you write those days gets confusing in some contreys... dont know where you live, but at least here we write them the other way. for example january second becomes 2/1

A. Lupin at 2:48 pm September 23

Ah, I'm so sorry! I wasn't even thinking of that. -facepalm 'cause it's an International thing- oh dear. I'm terrible sorry!

January 8
February 1
March 29
May 5
October 27
November 22

the_thina at 4:21 pm September 23

haha, you dont have to say you are sorry. everyone knows there is no 29th month, but was just pointing it out. :)

A. Lupin at 5:52 pm September 22

Since Pythonline is the Official Monty Python website, shouldn't the Pythonline Members decide on the date for an International Monty Python Day?

genji at 11:02 pm September 22

I think they did earlier in this thread. It was fairly unanimous.

May would be a lovely month to hold it in, but the 15th has no direct significance to Monty Python. Nice random idea, though, with the averaging.

I think 5 October is a good day not just because it's the anniversary of the first TV show but also because Mr. Chapman died on 4 October so we can mourn his passing and then wake up next day to celebrate his (and the others') work. It's a bit like Easter.

Also, there's a bit of a lead up to it with Doune Castle in early September, then Talk Like A Pirate Day and the Yellowbeard link, then Lumberjack Day (thanks to Hanri for sharing that on facebook), and finally the 4th/5th of October. I think it works out quite well.

A. Lupin at 2:49 pm September 23

sounds wonderful ^-^

Hanri at 6:16 am September 23

So the Sep-Oct time is wonderful Pythonic Festival time! Ayeee!

Tanya_Birklid19 at 6:31 am September 23

Lumberjack Day . . . when's that?

Lvndr HppE at 8:09 am September 23

Sunday

Tanya_Birklid19 at 5:44 pm September 23

This sunday?

mrsCutout at 2:33 pm September 23

Excellent!

LaiSan: I will be celebrating this great day with coconut halves, silly walks and possibly a spam cake..That is, if anyone is familiar with the recipe? Delia? Nigella?..Anyone?

genji: Is anybody good with facebook? I find it very confusing (not to mention irritating). A well-designed IMPD group or page - something people can join - would be good.

genji at 10:34 pm September 21

Someone tried this for last year's 40th anniversary but only got 22 followers. The page wasn't very interesting, though. Not sure why 25 November was chosen.

Then there was this, which also didn't garner much support.

As mentioned in my original post, there was also this.

The question is why weren't they successful, can such a page be successful and, if so, how? Three questions - the three questions are why weren't they successful, can such a page be successful and, if so, how? And can a page be designed to look more Pythonesque?

The fan-based Monty Python pages (MPFC, MP and Holy Grail) have staggering numbers of followers.

TheRealGilliamFan at 1:33 am September 23

Tweet the facebook page. I'll submit the link to pinging sites :D

genji at 2:33 am September 23