Life of Brian, Palin as prophet

In a scene from The Life of Brian Michael Palin performs an extraordinary impression of an english actor, I'm 99% certain it's Sir Wilfrid Hyde-White but I'm not sure I've got the right name. The impression is masterfully well done.

If anybody can comment on this, I'd be very pleased.

Here is the text:
There shall, in that time, be rumours of things going astray, erm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi-- with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment.

At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

Comments

the_thina: digged out the dvd now, and mike says on the commentary-track that he thinks that guy is very much like peter cook. he didnt say it was BASED on peter, but well, it was peter he mentioned, just as I sort of rememberd. :)
but to know for sure you have to track down whoever of them that wrote that bit I guess. or ask mike

shaun at 5:34 am August 01

oh thanks for looking that up, good memory too! Yet, that answer even puzzles me more tho, he nailed that impression, I can't imagine it was only based, I was thinking it was more of a tribute. This quest may be more about my psyche than anything else, so I'm looking at all angles. Love the way you say 'or ask mike' like he lives next door :)

the_thina at 7:19 am August 01

yes, I think its a bit of a tribute to peter as well. that man has a very recognizable way of speaking, and in my mind there has never been much doubt since I first saw or rather HEARD peter... :)
haha, well I do realize he dont live next door, but I do know he is quick to anser fan-mail and sometimes send a small message with the autographed pictures. after all, he is known as "the nice one", right? so you can write and ask and the chanses he will answer is quite possible. ^^

mrsCutout at 10:55 am August 01

Hahaha now you mention it he does remind me a bit ofSir Wilfrid but it's true it sounds more like Peter hahaha!I never thought of this before!I mean it definately sounds like one of his monologues!Great impersonation!I love Peter Cook!

shaun: ow, dang, you're right, it could just as easily be Peter Cook, I'll look into it more, this has been on my mind for years now :) Thanks so much...

the_thina at 2:04 pm July 31

yes. and given the fact they have worked with peter (dont know who the one you mentioned is) I have always seen it as a tribute to him.
and I even think someone says something about that on the dvd, like one of the commentary-tracks or something...

shaun at 2:09 pm July 31

aaah which dvd is that, I'm so desperate to find out, I'll run out tomorrow and get it, we're blessed in holland with some shops open on sunday :)

the_thina at 2:12 pm July 31

oh I dont remember what its called, but a double-dvd of life of brian with lots of extras. I had to order mine from the UK.

shaun at 2:14 pm July 31

ok, no problem, I'll find it if it exists :) I found a clip of Peter Cook, that's very much close... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUZNynYXzM

mrsCutout at 10:58 am August 01

Love this sketch!Though this is my favorite version! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grg5tULy0tY&feature=related

the_thina at 2:18 pm July 31

yes. that monotone voice. haha.
here is the dvd Im talking about http://www.cdwow.se/DVD/monty-pythons-life-of-brian-the-immaculate-editi...

mrsCutout at 10:57 am August 01

Damn I want that dvd!But I already have the movie...

shaun at 2:23 pm July 31

cool, thanks, my only other option is to ask Michael himself, but I'll only bother him if I can't resolve it any other way :). the reason I thought of Wilfrid Hyde-White (he plays in My Fair Lady and hundred other films) is the sort of senial way he wanders of with the speach especially at the end, I don't see Peter Cook doing that. This is becoming a quest for me :)

the_thina at 2:26 pm July 31

aaaah, ok. but well, good luck. I can have a look at mt dvd later, but right now my cat is sleeping on my lap, dont want to wake her up if I dont have too.

shaun at 2:34 pm July 31

nooo, never wake a sleeping cat, nothing good can come from that :) I dont think I can sleep now, I'll be watching Peter Cook and getting stomach cramps laughing all night!

mo at 3:50 pm July 31

Peter Cook was a genius.Along with Spike Milligan,he revolutinised comedy.But,Im not sure,if Palin was taking off Cook.I wish I knew.Its really gonna bug me now.

shaun at 5:41 am August 01

it's been bugging me for years now, I just never decided to get to the bottom of it until now... I agree, I don't think it's Cook, it's the part that he wanders off into his own world of vague details. He does it twice. 'with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment' and 'the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock'. This is typical for the character that I'm thinking of but can't get the name 100% sure.

the_thina at 2:44 pm July 31

haha, exactly. and I never disturb her when she is sleeping/resting in any way if I can avoid it. she is my baby! haha.
but I will have a look at the dvd later, have been thinking of watching it anyway, since I watched holy grail last night. :)

the_thina: to me he is very much like peter cook.