Michael Palin: Fans keep Monty Python legacy alive

Ok, I haven't figured out how to "post" an article URL, but here's a copy paste :)

Michael Palin: Fans keep Monty Python legacy alive

Wednesday, 07, Jul 2010 10:09

By Lewis Bazley.

Michael Palin: Fans keep Monty Python legacy alive

Actor and broadcaster Michael Palin has explained the passion of Monty Python fans has kept the comedy troupe's material going since their split.

Palin worked with Eric Idle, John Cleese, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam and Graham Chapman between 1969 and 1983, with Chapman dying in 1989, and collaborated for the last time as a sextet on The Meaning of Life.

But speaking ahead of the release of his latest collection of diaries, Palin explained Monty Python is "as alive now as it ever was".

"I'm still recognised from Monty Python, even though we did it 40 years ago," he added.

"You've just got to say 'ni' to a Python fan and they crease up. I'm often asked to write Python material when I do a book signing. I just write 'ni'. It saves me having to remember lyrics from the songs."

Asked about his proudest career moments, Palin remarked: "I'm very proud of the fish-slapping dance we did in Python. We rehearsed this silly dance where John Cleese hits me with a fish and I fall into Teddington Lock.

"We were so intent on getting the dance right that I didn't notice the lock had cleared and instead of it being a 2ft drop into the water it was a 15ft drop. I'm very proud of doing that."

Comments

mrsCutout: Haha!Awww that's so nice of him!And it's true Python is quite well known even now! Ni!

mrsCutout at 5:26 am July 09

and thank you for sharing this!

Lady and Laird Candermine: When I see it now... I'm going to remember that 15 feet were to be only 2 forever now..
... NI thanks

Holly: just reading this made me smile. "ni"

Alainainthesky: Haha, that's funny about 'ni'. It is a pretty easy line to remember.

I remember reading something about Michael going back to the Lock 30some years later or something and saying he couldn't believe he had done it.

the_thina at 6:33 am July 09

yes, it was in "python-land" I think the show was called. another one of his "traveling-shows" made for the 30th annoversery. :)

Alainainthesky at 10:11 am July 09

I'll have to try to see if I can find that somewhere, thanks!

the_thina at 10:46 am July 09

oh, I have it. recorded it from telly back in 99. dont know if you can find it on dvd tho...