Monty Python Answer the Proust Questionnaire

It's from VANITY FAIR last year, but since I didn't see it here anywhere, I thought a nice copy/paste is in order because it's a fun read!

And by the way, Vanity Fair has an online interactive version of the Proust Questionnaire that you can take yourself ---> HERE <--- , it's fun :)

Monty Python Answers to the Proust Questionnaire:

On what occasion do you lie?

Terry Jones: When I’ve had a terrible meal.

Michael Palin: When everything else has failed.

Eric Idle: All the time! That was one of them. No, I rarely lie. I’m not terribly good at it.

What do you consider to be the most overrated virtue?

John Cleese: Loyalty.

Michael Palin: Chastity.

Terry Gilliam: Virtue. And Chastity.

Eric Idle: Modesty.

Terry Jones: Patience.

What trait do you most deplore in yourself?

Terry Jones: Impatience.

John Cleese: I’m too quick to make up my mind whether I like people.

Eric Idle: I tend to go along with things. It’s always better to put your foot down.

Terry Gilliam: My need for triple-ply toilet paper.

Michael Palin: Uh… Uh… Uh… Indecisiveness. I think. Possibly. I’m not sure.

What trait you most deplore in others?

Michael Palin: Certainty.

Eric Idle: I don’t much like hypocrisy and smugness. Everything George Bush had. All of his character traits I deplore.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

Michael Palin: I’m going to think carefully about this. I think probably airport security gets pretty close to it.

John Cleese: Having to worry about your kids.

Eric Idle: Let’s hope to God we don’t get there. There’s a lot of miserable people on the planet. Let’s hope we can feed them and look after them.

Terry Jones: Not getting a pint of beer when you want it.

What is your most treasured possession?

Michael Pain: My body.

John Cleese: My daughters.

Eric Idle: My wife.

Which living person do you most admire?

Terry Jones: I think Barack Obama’s pretty amazing, actually. We’re so lucky that he’s in power. I don’t know how he did it.

Terry Gilliam: Obama.

Michael Palin: Sir David Attenborough.

John Cleese: [New York Times columnists] David Brooks and Frank Rich.

How would you like to die?

John Cleese: Slowly and happily.

Terry Gilliam: Asleep, like my uncle in the front seat. Not like the kids laughing in the back.

Michael Palin: Laughing.

Eric Idle: Of laughter. (When I tell him that was also Palin's answer, he says, “Hopefully at the same joke.”)

Comments

thewastelandr: I love how Michael's most treasured possession is his body! Too funny! Thanks for sharing!

NaJoJo: That questionnaire was very fun but I received such random results...Ray Charles and Hugh Hefner, nothing like me at all :L

Here Comes Another One: I did the questionnaire. It was fun. I wish it had told me abt my inner self though. It told me I was so many % like people I'd never heard of. And...

GONNNNNGGGG!

Oh dear, my Summarise the Proust Quiz time is up.

TheRealGilliamFan at 1:01 am October 28

I did it too. I'm not quite certain how it can measure which "celebrity" your answers are most similar to - except maybe just matching keywords.

For my highest percentages in most similar, I got:

Joan Didion

and

Claudette Colbert

Seems about right.... I guess. They both seem to have plenty of angst and pathos, I guess haha ;)

genji: Yeah - good post.

I like Mr. Jones's answers to most overrated virtue and most deplorable character trait in self, but Mr. Cleese had it exact on the lowest depth of misery.

TheRealGilliamFan at 1:08 am October 28

I liked Gilliam's answer to the trait he most deplores in himself haha. I'm sure this published bit is just an excerpt of their individual quizzes... it must be because the quiz I took is about 20 questions long. I would love to see ALL of their answers :D

TheRealGilliamFan at 1:20 am October 28

P.S. I LOVE Mike and Eric's idea of dying of laughter

.... though on second thought, the actual "cause of death" would probably be... what? Some sort of asphyxiation, right? because you'd laugh so hard you couldn't breathe.

(I know. I'm over-thinking that ;)

Here Comes Another One at 2:41 am October 28

I over-thought it too - some sort of heart attack or aneurism, maybe?

Not that late at 3:10 am October 28

Well... I think you also can die laughing but with a different cause of death... maybe a sudden accident, or murder, while you are laughing.

genji at 11:55 am October 28

I'd go with TRGF's asphyxiation, myself. I've occasionally laughed too hard at Python, extra-Python and post-Python sketches and almost choked myself into a blackout.

On the other hand perhaps falling off one's chair, banging one's chin on the table, biting off one's tongue and bleeding to death because everybody else is so hysterical that when they dial 999 (or 911) the receptionist just tells them to fuck off is a possibility.

TheRealGilliamFan at 12:24 pm October 28

OR... you could laugh so hard that you fall over and hit your head on the table in just the right spot that it instantly kills you. Now THAT would be ok.

genji at 12:37 pm October 28

Hmm... unlikely.

TheRealGilliamFan at 12:54 pm October 28

What if you hit your head SO hard it snapped your neck? Or so hard it caused an aneurysm?

genji at 12:56 pm October 28

Either. Too quick. I don't like it. It's too simple. There's no motive.

TheRealGilliamFan at 3:11 pm October 28

Ok, how 'bout this then. You DON'T hit your head on a table after laughing so hard. Instead, you are at a roof party (do people do that there? have parties on the roofs of apartment buildings?) ... anyway, you're at a roof party. It's nearly sunrise so you're all drunk now and sitting on lawn chairs kind of near the edge of the roof, watching the sun come up. Someone tells a joke. It's really funny. You start laughing and you laugh so hard that you fall out of your chair and topple over the side of the building. Your head hits the cement and you are killed instantly.

Better?

Here Comes Another One at 6:57 pm October 28

Excellent! I like this conversation.

What about this one? You're walking down the street and you pass a shop window full of televisions, all of which are playing your most favourite comedic moment of all time. You laugh so much that you lose all sense of direction. You stumble into a display of raspberries outside a fruit & veg shop. They tumble in all directions - a very tall man who's passing lets out a terrible scream and pulls a nearby lever - and a 16-ton weight falls from the sky and crushes you to death ... while you're still laughing.

TheRealGilliamFan at 7:26 pm October 28

ding ding ding! YOU win the prize! That's awesome! Great scenario :D :D :D :D :D

Here Comes Another One: The whole Obama thing's quite interesting in retrospect, considering the Democrats' current situation...

Oh yes, and I loved Eric Idle's last answer.

Thanks for posting!