Punk ISN'T Dead...is it?

It was bound to happen sooner or later...I love the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Undertones, X-Ray Spex...So I'm declaring myself a punk. Proper, angry, gobbing, sneering, pogo-ing, safety-pins in the mouth punk. Well, without the anger or the gobbing, actually...But I was wondering, is punk really dying out completely? I can't find any others : (

one vote

Comments

the_thina: if you are at all intressed, here you have the two best swedish punkbands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVGwJ0DePk (it has a ska-sound, but they were punk, and the sax-bit gets me laughing my ass of everytime I see it)

LemonCurry95 at 6:54 am August 15

I love that ska-punk sound, heavy bass and sax : ) Listen to these! Oh, the first one isn't for the faint hearted...very rude, but very punk - the second one is just brilliant. Her voice really does go up to 11!

the_thina at 12:30 pm August 15

oh, I heard both of them before, and I like both of them. :)did you know metallica have done a cover of the first one?

LemonCurry95 at 11:13 am August 16

Yeah I heard it, they did it on an awards show, didn't they? Started one song, then stopped and played that one instead : P

the_thina at 11:21 am August 16

hmmm, dont know for sure, just know that my brother put it on a mix-cd he gave me when _I was about 13. haha

LemonCurry95 at 2:12 am August 17

Haha, crude songs on compilation albums...that's what brothers are for!

the_thina at 3:23 am August 17

haha yeah. it is after all my brothers that are resposable for big parts of my music-taste... and movie-taste. or maybe its our DNA that gives us the same kind of tastes, but I think its much their fault anyway. haha

the_thina at 9:20 am August 14

oh and I almost forgot these boys! arent they just so CUTE you just want to adopt them?

LemonCurry95 at 6:48 am August 15

Haha, totally! Loved them : )

the_thina at 12:32 pm August 15

seen them live 4 times.. well, they arent as young and cute anymore, but they still kick ass

LemonCurry95 at 11:15 am August 16

Ha, not as young and cute anymore ; P As long as they kick ass...one out of three isn't bad.

the_thina at 11:21 am August 16

yeah, kicking right-wingers-ass for 30 straight years is not bad at all. :)

LemonCurry95 at 6:48 am August 15

Haha, totally! Loved them : )

mrsCutout: Although Punk is not my complete favorite i like many punk bands first of all the Pistols haha!And ofcourse all of these amazing you mentioned!Classics! But no no way!Punk is still alive ...I mean who can find something to replace it?Lady Gaga?please!

LemonCurry95 at 5:56 am August 09

Haha, nicely put : ) Lady Gaga has a nice kind of image, but she sounds like an idiot in her interviews and her music is rubbish...Aw, thanks for saying the bands i like are amazing : P Most my friends just decribe them as 'different'...especially x-ray spex...'yeah,' they say, 'she's...um..different' Hehe : D

mrsCutout at 6:25 am August 09

Hahah i know what you mean!Different eh? I mean why must every body listen to the usual stuff..Jonas Bros etc. And all Lady Gaga has is image indeed.She might have good lyrics or critisize through her songs but others did that too and in a realy better way haha! OohI also like the Adicts...

mo at 6:27 am August 10

To say that theres so much crap out there is an understatement.The only artist I like from now is Paul Weller.But,Im generally stuck in the 60s and who can blame me.

LemonCurry95 at 6:50 am August 10

Paul Weller? Cool : ) D'you like The Jam, then?

mo at 1:13 pm August 10

Love The Jam.Ever since I first saw them on TOTP in 77 with All Around the World.

mrsCutout at 3:20 pm August 10

Ah Jam!!!!!!!!!Love em!And Weller Mo hahaha! I also like the Killers from todays bands!Good taste people good taste!

mo at 3:23 pm August 10

Start and The Modern World are my fav singles.

LemonCurry95 at 7:44 am August 11

Ha, brilliant : ) Two of my faves are Down in the Tube Station at Midnight and Going Underground.

mo at 12:16 pm August 11

Great choices.:)

LemonCurry95 at 12:03 pm August 12

Hehe, thanks : ) So...what other bands d'you like?

LemonCurry95 at 12:03 pm August 12

Hehe, thanks : ) So...what other bands d'you like?

LemonCurry95 at 11:07 am August 09

Yeah i hate that everyone listens to stuff purely cause it's popular. Like it because you like it, not because your friends like it : P The music today is all synthesized and there's no talent involved. Artists are selling themselves and not their music. Punk music is a group of people- usually mates - who play the drums and guitar and who sing because they WANT to sing and play the drums and guitar and make a statement. Which is cool with me : ) Mind you, as much as I love punk, I do also LOVE adam and the ants...I know that's 80's pop, but I don't know anyone who can resist ant-music! ; D

Arthur-two sheds-jackson at 8:28 am August 11

Lemon Curry 95, punk is more alive than a dead parrott! I am a massive punk fan and have attended reunion shows by bands like the Sex Pistols and Iggy and The Stooges. I have to say, Iggy was running around the stage with more energy than bands have his age! A

LemonCurry95 at 12:06 pm August 12

Haha, brilliant! That's what I like to hear : D Aw, so lucky, you are, seeing Sex Pistols AND Iggy and The Stooges! Iggy is crazy, I'm not surprised he was running about like a looney : P Did they play No Fun? I love that song. And I love the Pistols cover.

Arthur-two sheds-jackson at 8:28 am August 11

mrsCutout at 4:04 pm August 09

Haha ant-music! That's a different subject!It's true you can't resist! Although my fav is rock (especialy of 60s and 70s) punk is one of the last genres of music that are great! And yes all is made in the computer no real voices or nothing!

LemonCurry95 at 5:02 am August 10

Haha : ) I almost feel sorry for people who are brought up with lady gaga and JLS and justin beiber, when i'm listening to stiff little fingers and sex pistols and adam ant ; D I've been brought up on a staple diet of rock and heavy metal. I think punk rock suits me best. It's kind of weird how music can 'suit' someone, though : P

mrsCutout at 3:18 pm August 10

Hahaha I pity them too!Ha but you'e right music does suit someone.I have found that blues suit me best although I prefer listening to rock (of all kinds) but again...especialy wjat is made till the late 70s!Ok and Queen too!

LemonCurry95 at 12:15 pm August 12

I think it should be made law for people to love Queen : ) So sad that poor Freddie died : ( All the best ones get taken x I'm completely in the wrong decade...I love the 70's and 80's. I think punk really suits me : P You know, I've never really listened to much blues. Any blues-bands you'd reccommend?

Arthur-two sheds-jackson at 1:07 am August 15

You might already know the story about when The Pistols and Queen were recording in studios next door to each other. Basically, Freddie wanted to know what the fuss was about with this so called punk business, so he decided to listen in on the pistols recoring session. Anyway, glen matlock open the door and freddie is on his knees looking up at him and says "Hello luvie!". True story that. Always makes me smile

Arthur-two sheds-jackson at 1:08 am August 15

I should of ended that little story with, God Save Queen! Got to get all the ouns you can these days

LemonCurry95 at 6:59 am August 15

Haha, awesome : ) I hadn't heard that before...or if I had I'd forgotten it. Made me smile too! God Save the Queen indeed : D

mrsCutout at 6:45 am August 13

Hahaha yes long live The Queen haha! Same here though about the decade...Uhm where do I begin there are so many haha! The Blues Brothers are great! Very 80s versions of classic songs! but there are more solo performers of such music like James Brown ,Curtis Mayfield...Oh it's the O'Jays too.I'lll look for few more! Not so much of your liking but blues is a great genr just as Soul and RnB..but then all genres are good as long as we have good artists haha!

mrsCutout at 6:44 am August 13

LemonCurry95 at 7:01 am August 15

Whoaaa...Oh, I've heard Blues Brothers before...can't think what it was though...Nice point about all the genres being good : ) Very true, that : P

the_thina: *waive both hands*
Im a punk! sort of punk mixed with hippie.
and I dont think punk ever will die as long as there is a need for it.
its much more a message than a fashion you know.
there is a swedish poem that no one knows who wrote it, but sums the whole thing up.
google translate (it became a bit wierd due to rimes in the original):

Punkrockers Holy Scriptures
When everyone sees the power of flowers
When the meaning of life in the sun
When no ones drink is stronger than juice
Then we throw away our safety pins

When no longer see the pleasure in killing
With no soldiers are hiding in the bushes and thickets
When everyone can share of the crop life
Then we comb our hair down

When everyone can meet his neighbor's eye
When Joy is not something that others may
Then we put away our boots

When the animals rely on humans
When we torn down the wall of selfishness
Then we throw away our studs

When noone no longer need to live on the street
When the earth has got into a comfortable trot
When no longer worship God or Satan
Then we will no longer belong to something we call PUNK
'

LemonCurry95 at 11:51 am August 08

Nice poem : ) Yeah, I get the message with punk. It was a mixture of things, y'know, statements young kids were making. It was trying to encourage individuality, which was a bit lost then. Plus the cities and towns most punk bands grew up in - in the 70's - weren't the nicest places to be. I just hope that even though the times have changed almost completely, punk still hangs around : ) The image is brilliant though, as is the music ; D

the_thina at 9:02 am August 09

yes, there will always be punks around. even if now adays its much "fashion" witch I dont care for, to me punk has always been more of an idiology, but thank god there are still young punks around who get that, and if it has lasted for almost 40 years.... heres to another 40!

LemonCurry95 at 11:11 am August 09

Haha, I'll drink to that : ) Well, i would, but i don't drink... I guess that i won't be able to be a punk for the same reasons as the original punks, because they were making a statement against the people and politics and state of the country of the time. It was directly affecting them, most of the time. I have my own political views and all that stuff, but none of it directly affects me. So for now, I'll accet punk purely as music, image, and individuality : )

mo: Dont forget The Buzzcocks.They were great.

LemonCurry95 at 11:52 am August 08

I couldn't forget The Buzzcocks : ) Brilliant band : D

mo at 1:11 pm August 08

Loved Steve Diggle.:)

mrsCutout at 4:09 pm August 08

STEVE!!Love him!

LemonCurry95 at 1:23 pm August 08

Did you know that Malcolm MacLaren (sex pistols manager) introduced Steve to the singer and guitarist, who were looking for a bass player. Then the group became the buzzcocks. Neat little story, shows how close punk bands all were to each other!

mrsCutout at 4:08 pm August 08

Ah!How very interesting I didn't know that either!Wow!

LemonCurry95 at 5:58 am August 09

Yeah, all the punks were pretty close. Most of them went to Pistols gigs before they started their own bands...even billy idol : P