Sketchy Sketch Illumination Game
The rules for this one combine the best of the 'quotes' and 'songs' elimination games.
For the purpose of this game, a 'sketch' is:
- a clearly defined sketch from Flying Circus, a live show (Monty Python, Amnesty International, TV appearances, etc.) or a film (e.g. 'Michaelangelo meets the Pope', 'Live Organ Transplants' or 'Camel-spotting')
- a link (e.g. an Undertaker taking a look at the score so far in the Agatha Christie sketch, or the Announcer announcing that he's not appearing in the show this week, or the Middle of the Film)
- a Flying Circus film (e.g. 'A Scotsman on a Horse', or the Sedan Chair at the beach)
- an animation sequence (e.g. suicidal leaves, Space Odyssey, Conrad Poohs)
- a scene from a film (e.g. the mosquito bite, Pilate at the Forum, French taunter)
- a scene from a longer Flying Circus sequence (e.g. laboratory scene from 'Science Fiction Sketch' or hospital scene from 'The Cycling Tour')
- a running gag (e.g. Pigs vs. British Bipeds, knight with a chicken, bishop rehearsing his lines).
- Vox Pops or Letters
I won't say you can't include songs or one-liners but there are other elimination games for those.
- In your first post each day you can +1 up to three different sketches and -1 up to three other different sketches (remember to note how you've scored them by putting +1 or -1 in brackets)
- You must balance your scores; e.g. if you do two +1 then you must also do two -1
- Subsequent posts on the same day may only +1 one sketch and -1 one sketch, even if you didn't do three in your first post
- A sketch is eliminated as soon as its score reaches zero
- On 8 January, 13 January, 1 February, 29 March, 5 May, 5 October, 27 October, 22 November and 9 December you are allowed only one post per person but you must score all of the remaining sketches, either +1 or -1
- Don't post straight after yourself
- Don't post straight after me*
Like the 'songs' elimination game you can add your own sketches to the list, but now it costs one of your +1 scores to do so:
- a new sketch starts at zero and, to add it, you score it +1
- any sketch that has been eliminated may not be added again unless you can slip it in without anyone noticing; if two other people post their scores after you've added it (without anyone wangdampening, i.e. pointing out that you've added an eliminated sketch) then it's legitimate again.
This means that the game potentially remains fresh and we don't end up with a situation like the 'holy grail' game, which is effectively, after a year of playing, a stalemate between two characters forcing players to score against their preference just to try to end the sodding thing.
I'll post a starting list of sketches below, but remember you can add your own sketches in accordance with rule 32b, sub-clause iv, paragraph 13.
Albatross - - - 5
Blackmail - - - 5
But it's my only line - - - 5
Crunchy Frog - - - 5
Dynamo Tension - - - 5
Eighteenth Century Social Legislation - - - 5
Fish-slapping Dance - - - 5
Flying Sheep - - - 5
Four Yorkshiremen - - - 5
Guards! Make sure he doesn't leave the room - - - 5
Gumby Flower Arranging - - - 5
Hungarian Phrasebook - - - 5
Johann Gambolputty... of Ulm - - - 5
Kicking Mr. Chapman's bucket (from Live at Aspen) - - - 5
Llamas - - - 5
The Miracle of Flight - - - 5
Mrs Niggerbaiter Explodes - - - 5
Oscar Wilde Sketch - - - 5
Restaurant Sketch - - - 5
Widiculed by the common soldiewy - - - 5
Sam Peckinpah's 'Salad Days' - - - 5
Sex Education Class - - - 5
The Time on BBC1 - - - 5
What have the Romans ever done for us? - - - 5
Working Class Playwright - - - 5
* this is a special rule that only applies to me; if you're not me then you can post after me, as long as you're not getting your hair cut later today.
Thanks to TheRealGilliamFan for colorization (otherwise known as colourisation), Here Comes Another One for streamlining the elimination game rules, and Stig for (as far as I can tell) inventing the damned things in the first place.