Things I've learned from Monty Python

This is something I was thinking about in the library today when "How Do You Tell A Witch" from "The Monty Python Instant Record Collection" (taken from Holy Grail) came on my ipod. I sat there, stifling a laugh and thought "Important life lesson I learned from Monty Python: Witches burn, because they're made of wood." And while we're on the subject. Another important lesson I've learned from Monty Python: Norwegian Blue parrots stun easily!" Any important (or unimportant) lessons you learned from Monty Python?

Comments

a_nervous_wreck: I learned that sheep are not a creature of the air

l_wojcik at 10:04 am January 28

That makes me think of We Love Sheep from Not the Messiah.

l_wojcik: I learned that Oliver Cromwell was Lord protector from England was bourn in 1599 and died in 1658 of September.

l_wojcik at 4:55 pm January 25

Actually, I have learned much much more than that but, that was the first thing to pp into my head.

Here Comes Another One at 2:36 am January 26

In a similar vein, I learned that if one plough-team wants an oxen, and that oxen is lent, then the villeins and the ploughmen have to have the lord's consent.

a_nervous_wreck: I learned how to tell if your parrot is resting, or dead, but apparently it works better with Norwegian Blues

Here Comes Another One: That the Treaty of Utrecht was ratified in September 1713. And there isn't a Basingstoke in Westphalia. And there are no tigers in Africa. (well, I knew the last two, but y'know...)

I also learned that there was really a Viking battle at Malden, against the Anglo-Saxons. I didn't learn it from Python, but I remembered it because of them! And knowing that, I fell in love with them a little bit more!

MontyPython93: That I always must look at the bright side of life... Perhaps this was a boring answer, but come on, it's true! It has helped me a lot through life :)

the_thina: I have learned 3 (2 correct and 1 non-correct) latin phrases.
me, my brother and our common friend (started as my brothers friend tho, but all his friends loves me) had a big discussion over the "romans go home" the other day. stickan wanted to know how to say it but not in presens, me and my brother was wondering if he wanted them to go home tomorrow or yesterday. haha

Lvndr HppE: When you're the kind of France. You've got better things to do than go around remembering your bloody number!

Lvndr HppE at 7:52 pm July 21

When you're the KING of France, you've got better things to do than go around remembering your bloody number!

Kgraham18: He's not pining for the fijords! He's dead!

Paute: "I drink, therefore I am"

Monty Petra: Awww, they're so cute covered in dirt!

Anyway, I learned a buttload of British profanity. Yay!

Lvndr HppE:

Oh, I think you guys might like to know that I found a copy of this poster on allposters.com It's only $8.99 in American dollars!

Holly at 9:13 am March 14

I got that as a present a few months ago, I love it.

Alainainthesky at 7:32 pm July 21

This is what it made me think of. I really want it for my dorm. (:

mrsCutout: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
spam spam spam!

Kasmira: First thing that poped up my mind: "Never kill a costumer!" haha.

sit-on-my-face at 11:27 am March 03

Me too!

mrsCutout at 1:49 pm March 03

XD

Lvndr HppE at 1:30 pm March 03

Oh, how I needed that when I was working at my last job (Guest Relations at the Bronx Zoo). I wanted to beat up some people when they complained about stupid stuff, like this one lady that complained that our tiger exhibit was closed, due to a bad rain storm that knocked down a tree in the exhibit. By the way, that tree knocked down a gate that kept us on one side and the tigers on the other.

The Ex-Leper: NEVER EVER EVERY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GIVE MR. CREOSOTE THE WAFER THIN MINT AFTER A BIG MEAL!!!!!!!!!

mrsCutout: Always look on the bright side of life!

Lvndr HppE at 1:30 pm March 03

Motto of my life.

Kasmira at 1:48 pm March 03

This day was shit but there're come another one's (more or less shitties but hey, I'm not a king or queen)... I should think about that now. And I really am looking on the bright side... :)

Lvndr HppE at 2:02 pm March 03

Well, it's like they say. Some things in life are bad. They can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse. When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble; give a whistle. And this will help things turn out of the best. Aaaand. Always look on the bright side of life. {whistles} Always look on the light side of life. {whistles}

Kasmira at 1:49 pm March 03

come=coming

mrsCutout at 1:54 pm March 03

oh i know this moto just made my days better!

Paute:

The answer is here!! (The best poster of MP)

The Ex-Leper at 9:29 am March 02

Does anybody know where I could find a copy of this poster? or at least a gigantic image of it so I can be cheap and print it out? :P

Lvndr HppE at 9:40 pm February 28

Thanks for posting the poster. I would love to have a poster like that in my room. Funny, but after reading it, I realized that a lot of these quotes were posted here.

thewastelandr at 11:56 am February 28

Love it.

mrsCutout at 3:02 pm February 28

awesom!

Paute at 11:57 am February 28

Yes! more than biblia!

thewastelandr at 12:01 pm February 28

Biblia?

Paute at 12:53 pm February 28

Bible!
I wanna said it´s more important than bible... (biblia in spanish)

thewastelandr at 2:02 pm February 28

Oh haha. Well, not sure about that, but Python is up there!

Paute at 3:06 pm February 28

Yes...Much better, important and funny!!

thewastelandr at 3:55 pm February 28

Lol... sacrilegious!

the_thina: when in war, never be temted to go and take a look at the spiders the enemy has in match-boxes

the_thina: if someone is a lumberjack its a good chanse he is a transvestite as well

the_thina: the pub closes everytime youre thirsty

The Ex-Leper: Never mention international travel to Mr. Smoketoomuch
Some cheese shops in fact have ZERO cheese whatsoever
Don't feed your cat Lupins it may choke itself to death on them

arkennedy: Whatever you do don't confess.

Remember the Gilliam cartoon in which the guy kept confessing and every time he did he was told to sit down and the chair was pulled from under him? I wasn't able to find the link to it to post here but I think it may have been in the Spanish Inquisition Episode.

the_thina: and that camalot is a silly place (graham becomes a little less arthur and a little more culnal there for a few seconds)

Lvndr HppE: The earth is banana shaped.

Lvndr HppE: The French have outrageous accents.

the_thina: if a woman has got a wart she has to be a witch

Lvndr HppE at 8:58 am February 26

No, no, no. If she weighs the same as a duck, she must be made of wood, and therefore a witch! lol.